Saturday, October 8, 2011

Apple Spice Bread


Thought I would share a tasty 'fall-ish' treat. I made this apple spice bread today, it's delish - even used my thrift store Pyrex find for the first time, isn't she a beauty! The combination of spices is just right for the season and with a dollop of butter on it, you have perfection! 

For those who don't know, fall is by far my favorite time of year and I wish South Texas would realize that summer was officially over two weeks ago. I am ready for the days when I can leave the windows open from sun up to sun down and enjoy the crisp breeze, granted there aren't many but I will take what I can get. I am ready to wear sweaters and boots and scarves. I am ready to take my very first sip of a steaming hot pumpkin spice latte; these 90 degree days make it impossible to enjoy, so here I wait for that perfect fall day. I am ready to fall in love with fall. But as for now, I have my apple spice bread and for a moment I will pretend. 


Recipe: Apple Spice Bread 

Ingredients
2 cups sweet apples - chopped finely
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup oil
1/4 cup butter
2 small eggs
1 cup brown sugar
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp cinnamon (heaping 1/2 tsp if you love cinnamon like myself)
1/2 tsp nutmeg (another heaping 1/2 tsp)
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 cup finely chopped nuts (optional)

Method 
Cream the butter (at room temp) with the sugar, then combine with the oil, eggs, and vanilla and set aside.

In another bowl, sift the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, soda, and salt. Add dry ingredients to oil mixture gradually. Fold in the apples and nuts.

Grease one loaf pan. Pour the batter into the pan, and bake at 325 deg F for about 55 mins (check after 45 mins) till its brown on the outside, appears crusty, and the toothpick test passes or butter knife as in my case.

Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then let it cool completely on a wire rack (I cut into it at this point, my taste buds couldn't handle the temptation)

Delight in the glorious flavors of fall!



No comments:

Post a Comment