Friday, January 6, 2012

How does your garden grow?


art by Katie Daisy 

If you happened to read my 12 in 2012 post, one of my resolutions was to grow my own veggies. I am really excited about this one but I have to admit that I lack the "green thumb" gene and haven't been the most successful in keeping previous plants alive for any real length of time. These facts could very well cause a potential gardening washout - literally! However, my quote for 2012 is "the only thing standing in your way is you". With that said, I am determined to give it my all and whether or not it turns into a disaster, well ... time will only tell. 

I have been scouring the internet in search of valuable gardening information and possible ideas, here is what I have found:
***

Better Homes and Garden
Planning Your First Vegetable Garden 

***


 The Little Veggie Patch Co by Fabian Capomolla and Mat Pember 

Pretty sure I need this book! Seems like it is full of useable information for people like myself. I plan on stopping by B&N here in the next few weeks to see if they have it in. 

Small space ideas

about the amount of space I have to work with, I like this layout.

love this idea for herbs.

a cute, practical 'starters' garden. 


easy to grow vegetables:
tomatoes
cucumber
pole beans
broccoli 
pepper
beats
cabbage 
spinach 
parsley 
onion 
leaf lettuce
carrots 
radishes 
... now what to grow?!


Any and ALL advice is welcomed. 

1 comment:

  1. I am no pro but I am going to plant again in Feb and my first garden was a pretty big success! I used some self watering pots that were AMAZING! I just used two this past time but it wasn't enough space so I am hoping to get 2 or 2 more to add to my garden. Herbs grow great if they have enough light and are not overshadowed by a larger plant. I just grew the small cherry tomatoes and they were really easy and I got a ton. I don't know much about growing larger tomatoes but I hear they are harder. Good Luck! LEt me know if you need any help and please do share any good info you find.

    ReplyDelete